Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Oh what a night!!

This post is for those of you who are still laughing when I say I married a farmer (Dawna, Katie, Kim, Roxann, Tiff, the list goes on, and you know who you are!) Anywhoo, I would like for you to draw a mental picture of this night in your heads, since it was dark and my camera phone doesn't have a flash!

Luke had to make a run in the semi to Rock Springs. They called him around two this afternoon, so he didn't have much time to prepare. As he was leaving, he innocently asked me to go to Downey and check the cows. (Brief pause for the city folk while I explain: It's calving season, and also cold outside. We check the cows at least twice a day to make sure there aren't any frozen babies or problems with them not sucking to get warm, etc.) I reluctantly agreed to, since I don't want to be blamed for a dead calf, but I would have to wait to pick Carson up from tumbling first, so we would make it down there around dusk. Carson and I even made the plans before tumbling, so we could hurry while we still had daylight. Roxann was also so amazingly nice (she probably knew I would have problems), so she asked to keep Brooks at her house while we were gone!
The first problem was that Luke left NO gas in the truck. I had to stop and fill up. (10 min. of precious light!) Next, I went to call as I hit the freeway, and realized I forgot my phone. No problem, I thought. We got to Downey in plenty of time to get the chores done. I sent Carson to fill up the heffer's (yearling female cows who are to young to be bred yet) water buckets while I went to check to cows that have already calved and the ones that should sometime soon. I jumped over the fence and they all started following me. Usually I have a cow dog with me (or Luke) to protect me, but I soon realized I was scared! I hurried and checked them and went and got Carson. We had to break all of the water buckets because they were frozen, so that took a little while. Then, we fed the horses and watered and fed the bull and steer (a male cow with his male parts cut off). "WOW," I thought, "I'm good!" I should do Luke's chores more often. Not bad for me, anyway! I even carried a bale all by myself! Feeling proud, I got Carson in the truck just as it was getting dark.
I should have known that I'm not that good. We started up the long road back to the highway, when I noticed that the road was drifted pretty badly. (Who was the idiot that didn't notice on the way in?) I stopped, and just like an awesome person I am (and definately over-confident!) put the truck in four-wheel drive and put the hubs in!! Then, I gunned it. WRONG THING TO DO. The truck went a little further, but then went sideways into the field where there is over three feet of snow. Yeah, dumb, I know. No, I don't know how to drive a tractor well enough to pull us out (Carson already asked), so I retreated. I went into the house and called Luke. He told me to leave the truck and call for a ride. Great idea, so I called Gretchen, my sister-in-law. I knew she wouldn't mind coming to get me. She was on her way, so Carson and I went out in the below-freezing temps. to wait. She showed up about a half hour later, and we got in and were so excited to be going home. Guess what? She was stuck, too!!! The driveway is downhill the entire way, and Gretch got stuck on some ice. She tried the backing up, pulling foreward thing, but just kept sliding further down the driveway. Well, mightywoman, here (me!) decided I could push, and it would all be okay. I planted my feet down and threw my whole body into the car as she put it in reverse. I literally fell on my face! We had the giggles so bad that we gave up and called my father-in-law. Please keep in mind that Roxann has my baby, and my other child had not eaten since lunch. By the time he came, we still had the giggles, and he was furious. He couldn't believe that 1. Luke would have ME come check and feed cows, and 2. I called GRETCHEN when I got stuck! He was so mad that he pulled her car out going about 35mph! When her car hit the road, it honestly almost spun a complete circle! The whole way home we still had the giggles, but Grandpa wasn't too happy! My truck will stay in the driveway until Luke gets the tractor out (and about three sets of chains), but I'm just greatful we are home now after about four hours of work on a thirty minute job! Hey, Gretch, do you want to go do chores with me tomorrow night?!

No comments: